Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters Workshop
by Don Johnston Inc
Have Karen Erickson train your staff to increase literacy skills of older beginning readers!
The Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters Workshop is designed to maximise the literacy outcomes of older beginning readers using Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters.
Short video clips presented by Dr. Karen Erickson (on CD-ROM) and reproducible materials guide staff development to achieve the following learning objectives:
- Understand the importance of the three formats for reading
- Identify struggling readers’ behaviours
- Implement reading strategies using the Intervention Planning Tool
- Create a plan for integrating Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters in your curriculum
The workshop can be implemented by a facilitator training or as an individual self-study. The entire workshop should take between 90 – 120 minutes when presented to a group. A self-study workshop should take approximately 60 minutes.
The included facilitator guide describes the workshop preparation, flow, video segments and activities. Pauses in the video allow for participant activities outlined in the Facilitator Guide and Professional Learning Plan including:
- Setting Personal Goals
- Developing Awareness of Instructional Practices
- Understanding the Beginning Literacy Framework
- Putting New Knowledge into Practice
- Using the Intervention Planning Tool
- Understanding Available Resources
Karen Erickson, Ph.D. is the Director of the Centre for Literacy and Disability Studies at University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, USA.
The Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters Workshop CD includes:
- Video clips of Dr. Karen Erickson
- Facilitator Guide
- Workshop Agenda
- Professional Learning Plan
- Beginning Literacy Framework white paper
- Certificate of Professional Development
Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters Workshop is targeted at the following age ranges:
Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters Workshop is designed to foster development in the areas of:
- Resource preparation
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and technical support visit:
Add items to your shopping list for creating an online quote, or purchasing them securely online.
Simply "tick" the boxes next to each item then click "Add Selected Items to List".
Freight free shipping anywhere within Australia or New Zealand!
Prices are listed in Australian Dollars