Therapy Friends Australian Theme Kits
READY-MADE SYMBOL ACTIVITIES - USING PICTURE COMMUNICATION SYMBOLS (PCS)
FUN, INTERACTIVE AND PURPOSEFUL!!
If you just love Boardmaker, but never seem to have time to make great activities to use with your students, then a Therapy Friends Kit is for you!
HOW EASY ARE THE KITS TO USE?
When you buy a Therapy Friends Kit you can …
- PRINT out an activity
- MAKE the activity following the instructions
- USE the activity with any students, anytime!
Each Therapy Friends Kit is centred around a theme area and can provide you with a whole unit of activities for your classroom or clinic. All activities can be used with students of differing ability levels; it just depends on how you present the activity!
There are even photos of what each activity should look like and short demonstration videos for each of the activities so you can see how an activity may be presented!!
WHO ARE THE KITS FOR?
These kits are suitable for teachers and therapists and can be used in:
- Special Education Facilities (Special Schools and Units)
- Early Intervention Programs
- Speech and Language Therapy Clinics
And can be used with students who may have:
- Physical impairments
- Hearing impairments
- Intellectual impairments
- Speech and Language impairments (eg. Dyspraxia and severe speech delays/ disorders; severe receptive and expressive language skills)
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Multiple impairments
WHAT DO THE KITS CONTAIN?
Each kit comes with a comprehensive Manual and a CD which contains:
- Boardmaker or PDF files to print and make 10-20 different communication activities
- Boardmaker files to print and use communication device overlays for a variety of devices
- Boardmaker files to print generic vocabulary cards which you can use to devise your own activities
- Short demonstration videos of each activity in action
- Photographs of each activity printed and assembled ready to use
- A template Parent Letter which you can use to keep your parents involved in the learning that is happening within the classroom or clinic
- A copy of the manual in PDF format
The Manual contains:
- Background and principles of AAC and communication
- Instructions on how to make each of your activities with accompanying photographs
- Presentation strategies
- Information on how to link the communication activities to classroom planning and Individual Education Plans
- A number of forms useful for planning and implementing the use of the activities within your classroom or clinic.
WHY USE A THERAPY FRIENDS KIT?
All Therapy Friends activities are designed to:
- Enhance language learning
- Enhance literacy support
- Utilize strategies of facilitation including:
- Consistent input
- Good timing
- Modelling of a range of communication functions
- Providing visual support for new vocabulary
- Encouraging generative language through cueing and symbol sequencing
- Address the needs of a broad range of students
WHO ARE THERAPY FRIENDS?
Amanda Hartmann and Terri-Lee Hurd are Speech-Language Pathologists who have been involved in special education for a combined 15 years. They have worked in preschool and school age settings with a wide range of ability levels. In addition, consulting with school districts and conducting collegiate and teacher training has also been a focus. The constant request for fun, reusable and ready made activities motivated the development of the company Therapy Friends which develops and distributes materials which promote communication in classrooms and clinic settings.